6 simple ways to help our planet
It's never too late to start or restart adopting behaviors that help reduce our impact on the environment. With all the debates surrounding carbon footprints, emissions targets, Net Zero etc., it's easy to lose the sense of urgency of how quickly we're harming the world around us.
Today is Earth Day - a great opportunity to make resolutions! Here are a few suggestions of small actions we can take, that collectively add up to make a difference:
1. Walk, bike (or run, or skate, ...) instead of taking your car. It's an obvious one, but what if, as of today, we avoided using the car for short journeys to the local shops?
2. Buy local - getting your food from the local farmer's market saves CO2 emitted from heavy transport vehicles used by the larger grocery retailers. The food is often fresher and tastes better too!
3. Check your tires - if you have to use your car, make sure your tires are properly inflated, as it can improve gas mileage by 3%. Every litre of gas saved, keeps 2.5kg of CO2 out of the atmosphere.
4. Turn off appliances - according to Energy Saving Trust research, between 9 and 16% of the electricity consumed in homes is used to power appliances that are on standby mode. Unplugging your TV, computer and other appliances saves energy and reduces your utility bill!
5. Change your air filter - replacing or cleaning your furnace filter saves energy and so helps reduce your energy bill!
6. Use less water - it takes a lot of energy to heat water. Taking shorter or cooler showers, and washing clothes in cold or warm water instead of hot water, will reduce your power consumption significantly.
Happy Earth Day!